Freitag, 11. März 2016

Tabletwoven Band From Chelles-sur-Marne

Hello again to my dear readers! I wasn't idle recently, so now it's time to show you some of my work finally :)



Since late November last year I had a beautiful  band on my loom, which I finished about two weeks ago. The original is from the tomb of the merovingian queen Bathilde (630-680) and the abbess Bertille (630-705). The textiles in their tomb were found as a bundle, so in some cases it is not possible to say, which textile belonged to which woman.

Fragments of the original textile from Chelles. From: Königinnen der Merowinger : Patrick Périn, Egon Wamers (Hrsg.): Adelsgräber aus den Kirchen von Köln, Saint-Denis, Chelles und Frankfurt am Main; Schnell und Steiner, Regensburg, 2012, S. 139.


The original band had a width of 18mm. I used 40/2 sewing thread and 48 tablets and came up with a width of 16mm.







 The original textile was made frome fine silk and was composed from a variety of gemetrical patterns.













4 Kommentare:

  1. What is a band used for? Cheers

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. In this case it is possible that it was used as a belt. Those bands were often used as embellishments instead of embroideries. Today people use them as dog leads, belts, hat bands, bag handles or just for decoration.

      Löschen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...